Sunday, August 9, 2009

Blockbuster Bondage...

Tonight we loaded up the family to go look at our house being built in Paloma Creek. It was a blast to walk around the framing and watch the boys imagine their rooms.

On our way home we decided to stop at McDonald's to get the boys some cheeseburgers (yeah...can you say Sunday and we like it easy?) and after a conversation with my brother (who I trust with any movie recommendation) to Blockbuster to rent "Taken" (which we just finished watching...not for the faint of heart but A+)

When we stopped at McDonald's I found it fairly easy to invite the girl to church and give her a card--although Michelle told me she was taking an order while I was going outreach. Oops.

Then we drove across the street to Blockbuster and I jumped out to get the movie and I felt a tug that made my heart sink a bit.

I reached back in to grab my pocket NT with the Piper booklets church invites. Having that with me as we drove into the parking lot kept me honest.

"You know what's tough for me Michelle (stating the obvious)....here it is...Blockbuster." I closed the van door and walked inside--going straight for the T's. [I've learned over the years it helps to know what you're going for when you're heading into a video store]

Maybe it's the fact that you can hardly rest your eyes anywhere in the store, or the Speed-racer attitude I have inside Blockbuster but frankly thinking Kingdom in video stores is the farthest thing from my mind. My faith usually feels pretty small. Today I feel like the Lord helped me.

I got the movie, my cash, and the Piper booklet with the invite tucked inside. The guy who took the video went right in to talking about the movie.

"Yeah we've seen these go fast. It's one of my favorites. In this movie you finally see the action hero do everything you want him to do."

We talked briefly about the movie, I paid and then I invited him to church. He seemed a bit indifferent but was polite.

Michelle and I watched Taken tonight and it's true. Liam Neeson plays an ex-spy father who goes after his daughter's kidnappers and rescues her by relying on his skills as a killing machine. His love for his daughter is relentless and he stops at nothing to get her back and bring about justice.

If we ever get a chance in the future I'd love to tell the young man I met today of another Father who goes beyond this father's love for his children--and of a Son who rescues sons and daughters not by killing but by being killed himself. He's more relentless than the dad in Taken.

Thankful for the Lord's help in Blockbuster today.

3 comments:

  1. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. Bondage for beginners

    ReplyDelete